We’ve been reviewing our approach to building capability, reviewing our offering to staff, and aiming to set out a more strategic approach to building capability across the department.
We’re pleased that this more strategic approach has recently been approved by People Committee – one of the executive boards that run the department. So we’ve got a great mandate to do some exciting work in the months to come, including a commitment to encourage all staff to have a digital development objective, and all consultations to be digital by default. We’ve already got some great advocates for digital across the department – some of whom have 'official' titles of digital buddies or advocates, but we’ve now got commitment to have digital representation across the various groups within the department.
Those are just a few examples of our new embedding plan that we have developed in consultation with our digital transformation and HR colleagues. That plan has 3 distinct threads:
- developing leadership support for digital
- developing a package of best practice, guidance and support
- communicating the benefits of digital through a concerted internal communications plan for the year
Each thread has a series of actions, and will also see us:
- ramping up our Digital Advocate programme for senior staff
- encouraging all staff to have digital objectives, in partnership with HR; we’re particularly excited about the possibilities here
- continuing to develop our digital buddies programme
- developing our case studies, and selling the benefits of digital more effectively
We’ve also been redeveloping our training 'offer', based on an analysis of what data from various sessions – and the cross-government Annual Skills Review – tells us about digital skills.
By analysing the insights from those we’ve trained already, we’ve been thinking how we would address barriers, and how we motivate staff. So, we’ve refocused our training, for example we’re creating a monthly 3 hour 'Digital in your day job' session, which has seen good booking rates despite that time commitment.
As we approach summer, we also start thinking about Digital Fortnight, and how we can build on the success of last year. So exciting times for building capability within the department. Watch this space!
Stay up-to-date by signing up for email alerts from this blog.